Intensive Course: Insurance Law (26 May – 21 June 2016)
The University of Hong Kong
Faculty of Law
Asian Institute of International Financial Law
LLM (Corporate and Financial Law) Programme
This course covers the most important aspects of insurance law, with particular emphasis on the international practice of insurance law. Topics to be covered include:
- The Insurance Market: forms of cover; underwriters; brokers; underwriting agents; formation of insurance contracts: the London Market procedure; other market arrangements; insurable interest
- Utmost Good Faith I: scope; misrepresentation and non-disclosure; materiality and inducement; remedies
- Utmost Good Faith II: post-contractual duty of assured; duty of underwriters
- Terms of Insurance Contracts: principles of construction; conditions; warranties
- Losses and Claims: proximate cause; public policy; meaning of loss; amount recoverable; aggregations
- Rights of Insurers: subrogation; contribution; suing and labouring
- Brokers: rights; duties; financial aspects
- Property Insurance: coverage; exclusions; war risks
- Marine Insurance
- Liability Insurance: forms of policy; claims made insurance; defence costs
Professor Robert Merkin, QC, Lloyd’s Professor of Commercial Law, University of Exeter; Special Counsel to DLA Piper
Gary Meggitt, Associate Professor and Director, Asian Institute of International Financial Law, Faculty of Law, The University of Hong Kong
Venue & Teaching Hours 11 lecture-type seminars of 3 hours from 26 May to 21 June 2016. The seminars will take place at the main HKU campus during Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings: Tuesday and Thursday: 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm; and Saturday: 10:00 am – 1:00 pm.
Course fee HK$6,500 for participants who would like to obtain a Certificate of Attendance and do not need CPD points; OR HK$13,000 for participants who will complete the assessment to obtain a Certificate of Completion and/or who would like to apply for CPD points.
Please refer to the flyer for more details.
For enquriy: please contact Flora Leung at 3917 2941 or email@example.com.